MHG50452 - HM Prison Porterfield - Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PRISON (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1899 AD to 1902 AD)
HMP Inverness (formerly Porterfield Prison) was designed by HM Office of Works from 1899 and opened in 1902. J MacKintosh was the project architect acting under W W Robertson. The site, set within a high, coursed red sandstone boundary wall includes the chapel and the former male and female cell blocks all dating to the early 20th century.
The Chapel, A Hall including the former laundry and kitchen, B Hall and the Boundary Wall and excluding all other structures within the boundary walls, the entrance block and the rebuilt southwest corner of the boundary wall, were listed at Category B by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017. <1>
GIS polygon buffered from OS MasterMap. <2>
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Stephenson, E.. 2017. Notification of the listing of HMP Inverness. Historic Environment Scotland. 04/07/2017. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A.. 2016. Site Visit - Porterfield Prison. Colour digital. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 66854 44910 (126m by 107m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB52418 (View on-line listed building record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/287312 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.