MHG5083 - Site of graveyard, Kildonan
A circular enclosure, reputedly the site of a graveyard.
Type and Period (4)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- BURIAL GROUND (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Built, 20th Century - 1901 AD? to 1961 AD? (at some time))
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG35SE 1 3517 5388.
(NG 3517 5388) Grave Yard (NR) (Site of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
The last of the big missions associated with Candida Casa, the ancient community of St. Ninian, while it still remained part of the Celtic Church, left its gates c.AD. 580, under Donnan Mor, St. Donnan the Great, an Irish Pict. One of his church foundations was Kill-Donnan, at Lyndale, Skye. Not listed by RCAHMS.
A B Scott; J A MacCulloch 1948; Visited by OS (C F W) 5 December 1960. <1><2>
No trace of the church or graveyard is to be found.
At the site indicated is an enclosure containing four ruined houses within, and one without, still known locally as the graveyard.
Visited by OS (A S P) 1 June 1961.
It is reported that as a result of the great flood of 1877, which washed away a large part of the cemetery at Uig, one of the bodies was washed up on the Kildonan shore and was re-buried at this site. This was common knowledge when the area was populated by Skye people and is still talked of locally. <3>
The site is depicted on all the Ordnance Survey mapping as Grave Yard (site of) or Burial Ground (site of). The houses are not depicted until after 1903. <4><5> The site and buildings were certainly very degraded by 1946. <6>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, A B. 1918. The Pictish nation: its people and its church. 269.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: MacCulloch, J A. 1948. The misty Isle of Skye. 4th. 234.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. J G Beaton 22-06-2009.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903-4. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <6> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. Highland Council Archaeology Unit Aerial Photograph Collection. Black and white vertical. . Digital (scanned). CPE-SCOT-UK-273, 3252.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 35178 53898 (36m by 34m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11139 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.