MHG5138 - Skeabost House Hotel
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- HOTEL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
NG44NW 12 4130 4869.
Skeabost House Hotel, Alexander Ross, 1870-1 Stagey remodelling of old lodge for Lachlan Macdonald of Ord (see p.257 for more on him), with battlemented parapets, Tudor hoodmoulds and an ogee-roofed entrance tower complete with oriel window and glazed viewing platform. Gate Lodge, dated 1876.
[The improving Lachlan Macdonald, who made a fortune planting Indigo in India, bought Skeabost - formerly a Macleod tack - around 1870. A benevolent and popular landlord, he allowed his tenants to fix their own fair rents at a time of great hardship for crofters. Alexander Smith noted that there were almost no turf huts to be seen around Skeabost, but houses 'of stone and lime, tidily whitewashed'.]
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide". <1>
Skeabost House Hotel, Alexander Ross, 1870-1 Stagey remodelling of old lodge for Lachlan Macdonald of Ord , with battlemented parapets, Tudor hoodmoulds and an ogee-roofed entrance tower complete with oriel window and glazed viewing platform. Gate Lodge, dated 1876.
Osborne (2006) notes that this building was, at least in part, used as a drill hall. In 1914 it was the base for "C" Squadron, 1st Lovat's Scouts.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <2> <3> <4>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <5>
- --- SHG28008 Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces.
- <1> SHG24310 Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback. pp. 290.
- <2> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 11279.
- <3> SHG27124 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 60, table 35.
- <4> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 413.
- <5> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4130 4870 (73m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB13971 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11279 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.