MHG51480 - Military Building - Glen Glass, Kiltearn
Small Second World War military building, possibly used as a check point along Glen Glass.
Type and Period (3)
- PUMP HOUSE? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- SENTRY BOX? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY BUILDING? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Small square military building (approx. 2.5 to 3m square) dating from the Second World War, possibly used to monitor and check traffic heading up and down Glen Glass. Brick built with a flat concrete roof. The ceiling is comprised of corrugated asbestos sheeting. The south-east and north-west elevations comprise only a small vent situated a couple of inches below roof height. The north-east elevation (facing the road) has a large window with the door and a small vent approx. four brick courses from ground level located in the south-west (rear) elevation. Internally a small bench with brick legs and a concrete seat is set into the floor and adjoins the south-east wall. A vertically positioned pipe, function unknown, is situated in the north corner of the room with a hole of similar diameter set into the floor in the opposite corner. The building survives in reasonable condition although a small hole has been punctured through the brick work in the south-east wall. <1>
The building was photographed 01/12/2008. <2>
This building was noted by ARCH's Evanton Wartime Remains project in 2013. This building is remembered locally as a pump house or valve house, built for the water supply to the airfield. There is a pipe inside, a concrete plinth and an asbestos roof. Contributors: Catriona Fraser, Alpin MacDonald, Eddie Szymborski. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 01/12/2008.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2013. Evanton Wartime Remains. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 77.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 60025 66767 (4m by 4m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.