MHG51551 - Sub circular enclosure north west of Lo'n na h-Iolainn, Borve
A sub-circular enclosure identified during a walkover survey in October 2007.
Type and Period (1)
- CURVILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Constructed, 20th Century - 1904 AD? to 1966 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
On the NW bank of the small stream and uphill from a cluster of grass-covered ruins is a sub-circular enclosure defined by a low turf and rubble dyke, colonised by bracken. Immediately downstream of this there is also a small substantial ruin. <1>
This feature was recorded during a walkover survey at NG 453 482, but it is summised that the description refers to the enclosure centred at NG 45266 48302. The feature does not appear on the Ordnance Survey mapping until 1966. <2><3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J.. 2007. Desk Based Assessment and Walk-over Survey: Borve to Edinbane, Isle of Skye - Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 25/10/2007. Digital. Site 5.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 45266 48301 (16m by 24m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.