MHG5166 - Souterrain - Allt Na Cille
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SOUTERRAIN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NG51SW 4 539 141
Alternative spelling Alt na Cille. Rock-cut souterrain. Sample excavations within the gallery produced a loom weight (illus. in Miket 2002 colour plate 13) and charcoal. Environmental analysis from the floor produced evidence of alder, hazel, willow, hulled six-row barley, pale persicaria and chickweed. A radiocarbon date was obtained from this material producing a date of 51 BC-379 AD calibrated to 2 sigma.
See Roger Miket 2002. 'The Souterrains of Skye' in Beverley Balin Smith & Iain Banks (eds). In the Shadow of the Brochs. The Iron Age in Scotland, pp. 103-4.
Note: grid references taken from Miket 2002. <1> <2>
Charcoal from the terminal chamber is in Skye & Lochalsh Archive Centre (2019), under Acc. No. 1988.5.2. <3>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital. Site 12.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Ballin-Smith B and Banks I (Eds.). 2002. In the Shadow of the Brochs: The Iron Age in Scotland. Paperback. pp 103-4.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Kruse, S. 2019-20. Note from Susan Kruse, Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5390 1410 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11445 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.