MHG5169 - Dun Grugaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
NG51SW 1 5354 1229.
(NG 5354 1229) Dun Grugaig (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1928)
Dun Grugaig, a galleried dun, measures 69ft externally along the major axis from NW-SE and varies in width from 24ft at the NW to 35ft at the opposite end. It is def- ended on the landward side on the NW, by a massive stone wall 141/2ft thick, standing to a height of 13ft above the inside level and 7ft 2ins to a gallery floor above the outside. The walling around the other sides has been much narrower, apparently only about 5ft thick, but the inside face is destroyed.
Not only is the finely-built passage in the centre of the NW wall complete, with six of its seven lintels in position, but part of a gallery immediately above is traceable for 7ft towards the SW, and apparently has been carried over in the NE, where, at about 51/2ft from the inside of the entrance, an opening contains the first three treads of a flight of steps, presumably leading up to it from the court. The inner wall of the gallary, which is still 6ft high in parts, is 4ft 10ins thick, and the outer wall, which shows a height of only a few inches, is 41/2ft thick. The gallery has been provided with at least one opening looking into the interior of the dun,the west jamb being still in situ above the entrance passage. On the inside of the main wall is a scarcement. The passage has door checks and bar holes.
Some of the stones of this dun are of considerable size, one of the foundation stones on the outer face to the right of the entrance being 8ft in length. The outer lintel is also a big stone.
RCAHMS 1928; A Graham 1949.
Dun Grugaig is as described by RCAHMS
Visited by OS (C F W) 14 June 1961.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 98.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: MacKie, E W. 1992. 'The iron age semibrochs of Atlantic Scotland: a case study in the problems of deductive reasoning', Archaeol J Vol. 148 1991, p.149-81. Archaeol J. 149-81. 166-8.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Colour Slide. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacKie, E W. 1975. Scotland: an archaeological guide: from the earliest times to the twelfth century. 163-4.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 210-11, No. 651.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5353 1229 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM915 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11442 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.