MHG52538 - Cross Marked Stone, Lochinver
Triangular shaped boulder bearing an incised cross within a circle, adjacent to a second cross.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS INCISED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD? to 700 AD?)
- None recorded
Cross marked stone discovered by a local fisherman at low tide on the bank of the River Inver. The face of the stone is roughly triangular in shape. Two incised crosses, one of which is placed within an incised circle, are positioned adjacent to one another on the top-face of the stone. Historic Assynt are looking at various ways of conserving the stone, including winching it from its current position to the top of the river bank by the Free Church <1>. Visited 26/03/2009 <2>. A rubbing clearly showing the crosses has also been made <3>.
Noted by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in February 2010. A large stone, roughly triangular in shape, lies below high tide line beside the river on the north bank below the church. On its upper surface are an incised cross c. 0.09m x 0.10m and another incised cross within an incised circle c. 0.13 m in diameter. <4>
This stone was moved in early 2011 to NC 09461 23040 to protect it from erosion. Gordon Sleight submitted photographs to the HER recording its new location. The incised cross possibly dates from the 6th or 7th century (pers comm Cait McCullagh). <5>
The new location of the stone has been digitised in the position shown in the photographs, about 10m north of the notified grid reference. The previous location of the stone, described above, is recorded as a findspot MHG52594 . <6>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 26/03/2009.
- <3> Image/Drawing: John Wombell. 2009. Rubbing of the Lochinver Cross Marked Stone.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 175, p.150.
- <5> Text/Correspondence: Historic Assynt. 02/2011. Emails from Gordon Sleight, Historic Assynt, notifying of new location of cross marked stone. Yes. Digital.
- <6> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 23/02/2011.
|Grid reference||NC 09459 23049 (point) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/310278/lochinver (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.