MHG52648 - Steading south east of Hill of Rangag, Rangag, Latheron
A 19th-century building used by the original owners for commercial purposes and latterly used as a steading.
Type and Period (4)
- STEADING (In use, 20th Century - 1925 AD? to 1925 AD? (post))
- GROCERS SHOP (In use, 19th Century - 1861 AD? to 1900 AD? (between))
- HOUSE? (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1861 AD? (at some time))
- SHOE FACTORY (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1875 AD? to 1925 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
A linear range of buildings is depicted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map c.1906. The original extent of the farmstead cannot be determined from the map and it is not clear whether or not this range is associated with the smaller building and enclosure to the south. <1>
Photographs of the buildings were submitted to the HER in June 2009 in connection with planning consent for renovation. It appears that these were originally built as farm buildings rather than being a house. The windows at the western end would suggest this part of the building was used as a workshop or similar. <2>
A website user emailed with further information about this building. Her great great grandparents John and Christina McLeod moved into this building in the 1860s and ran a small grocery business from here. The small room at the back with three windows was used by their son Alexander McLeod as a small shoe and boot-making facility. <3>
Further to the above information the 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps were checked on the NLS website, which provides higher quality scans. The buildings are also depicted on the 25 inch 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (Sheets XXVIII.6 and XXVIII.10, surveyed in 1871). <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Holley, M and Parker, A. 2009. Photographs of buildings at Rangag, Latheron. Colour. . Digital.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Christina Baldwin, 10/10/2009.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <5> Interactive Resource/Online Database: National Library of Scotland. National Library of Scotland Digital Map Library: Ordnance Survey maps. Sheets XXVIII.6 and XXVIII.10.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 17777 43569 (23m by 8m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.nls.uk/maps/os/index.html (National Library of Scotland's Digital Map Library)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.