MHG53547 - Captain Robertson's cairns, Dalnabreck
Three prominent cairns, generally known as Captain Robertson's cairns, although it appears that the cairn that originally bore his name has been destroyed.
Type and Period (2)
- COMMEMORATIVE CAIRN (Erected, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1868 AD? to 1974 AD? (between))
- BURIAL CAIRN? (Erected, 19th Century - 1868 AD to 1869 AD (between))
- None recorded
Three cairns are depicted on the modern Ordnance Survey Mastermap, and further cairn is depicted c.27 metres to the south east and named as Captain Robertson's Cairn (1868). The latter cairn does not appear to survive on the ground. The 1st edition 6 inch map of this area seems only to depict Captain Robertson's Cairn itself, suggesting that the others were erected later. <1><2>
The site was visited and photographed by a member of HCAU staff in March 2007. <3>
A photograph of these cairns features on the Geograph website. Martin Briscoe advises that four crosses are listed under St Finnan's Isle Burial Ground (Loch Shiel) in "Pre-1855 Monuments Inscriptions in Lochaber and Skye". One of these is "W J R 1869", believed to be Captain W J Robertson of the 42nd and 30th Regiment who died 26 June 1869. There is also a memorial window in St Finnan's Episcopal Church, Kinlochmoidart. Although the OS map records the cairn as 1868 this is believed to be the same person. The cairn may have been erected when his coffin was taken to St Finnan's Isle , or later as a memorial. Local knowledge suggests that it the cairn was erected as a burial cairn. <4><5>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1875-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Argyll. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. Site visit photographs. Colour. . Digital. 03/2007.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Briscoe, J M. 04/2010. Emails from Martin Briscoe regarding Captain Robertson's Cairn(s). Yes. Digital.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 72237 70889 (40m by 40m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332480/captain-robertsons-cairns (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.