MHG53610 - Occupied Cave, Leitir Fura, Kinloch, Isle of Skye
A sea-worn fissure cave, which shows signs of occupation from the 3rd century BC to the present day. It has been subject to survey and excavation.
Type and Period (3)
- CAVE (Early Iron Age to 21st Century - 550 BC to 2100 AD)
- HEARTH (Early Iron Age to 21st Century - 550 BC to 2100 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Early Iron Age to 21st Century - 550 BC to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
An ‘L’ shaped former sea cave situated behind a small birch copse, in the face of low cliffs, some 25 meters beyond the high tide line. A tall Holly tree lies outside the cave entrance and is plainly visible from the forest road overlooking the bay close to Site 21. The cave is 6.00 meters deep and 1.00 meter wide at the entrance widening to 3.00 meters wide inside. The interior of the cave varies from 2 – 3 meters high. A small revetted platform lies just outside the cave entrance. At the time of discovery the interior of the cave was littered with evidence of occupation (tools, pottery a hearth and a shell midden) from the late 18th or early 19th century. Subsequent excavation in May of 1996 showed that the cave had been occupied intermittently from at the least the 3rd century before Christ. In 2010, the cave was recorded as being in regular use again with a new hearth set against the SW wall and stacks of cut wood and kindling against the NE wall.
The excavations carried out in May 1996 have yet to be published. <1>
Archive report includes plans, recording sheet and photographs. <2>
Noted in the original survey at Leitir Fura, in 1996. <3>
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose M. 01/2010. Leitir Fura, Kinloch, Isle of Skye: A Clearance Settlement Managed for Public Display - A Re-evaluation after 10 years of Public Access. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey. Digital. Site LF.2010.26.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Wildgoose M. 01/2010. Leitir Fura, Kinloch, Isle of Skye: A Clearance Settlement Managed for Public Display - A Re-evaluation after 10 years of Public Access (Project Archive). Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey. Digital. Site LF.2010.26.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M and Kozikowski, G. 1996. Leitir Fura: A survey of the visible remains and the related relic landscape. Dualchas Museums' Service. Digital. Site 26.
|Grid reference||NG 73751 15851 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.