MHG53718 - Three structures, W of A837, Allt Druim Nan Torr
The remains of three structures were recorded on undulating land with apparent natural rock outcrops are the remains of three structures.
Type and Period (2)
- STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWNSHIP? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Spread around the area west of the A837 and east of Loch Assynt on undulating land with apparent natural rock outcrops are the remains of three structures.
137a is a drystone enclosure composed of unworked, angular stones of less than 50cm in width which survive
in walls up to 0.5m high and 0.7m wide, although there is up to 1m spread of walls in places. The enclosure
is sub-rectangular in plan and is situated on uneven
ground that slopes from down from north to south and west to east. The west wall is situated on top of a ridge and survives only with a few sparse stones spread along its route. There are no obvious internal features and although the east wall is truncated there does not appear to be an entrance anywhere.
137b is a ruinous, drystone building, aligned N-S, consisting
of two compartments. The walls survive up to 0.6m high, but are mostly no more than 0.3m, with a width of 0.7m or a spread width of up to a metre in places. Moss and bracken covered rubble debris from the walls litters the interior and surrounding area. There are two possible entrances on the east wall, one into each of the compartments and a possible internal entrance to the east of the internal dividing wall. None of these possible entrances are well defined and could instead be areas of collapse. There is an additional length of walling attached to the north-east corner of the building and aligned N-S which could have been another compartment or part of an enclosure, although only a 3.7m stretch of this remains.
137c consists of a drystone building measuring 10.4m by 5.3m, aligned N/S, with a conjoined, almost triangular
enclosure measuring 32m by 22m, aligned NW/SE. The structures measure no more than 0.5m high and have collapsed in several places. The building has almost no remaining west wall.
Although initially identified as the township of Na Cuilean, it could be thought of as a previously unrecorded site or perhaps one part of Na Cuilean which seem very separate due to the position of the A835 cutting through the township. <1>
No structures are shown at this location on Ordnance Survey 1st edition mapping. <2>
<1> Cavers, G & Hudson, G, 05/2010, Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish, 137, p.131; p.38; fig. 32 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24882.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2476 2253 (125m by 96m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.