MHG53804 - Steading and Farmhouse, Braeton of Leys
A steading and farmhouse, dating from the mid 19th-century.
Type and Period (5)
- STEADING (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- BYRE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- MILL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- GRANARY (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The complex of U-shaped steading buildings, with farmhouse and enclosure to the south, is first shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping. <1>
The site was subject to a photographic record, a condition on planning permission prior to conversion to a dwelling. A detailed report was also submitted to accompany the photographs.
The steading building is of a standard U-shaped design with another two buildings on its southern edge to form a near square. Internal fixtures and fittings survive related to cart sheds, storage areas, byres and a horse-driven threshing mill. The structure was, in the 20th century, used to house livestock.
The farmhouse dates to the same period as the steading. It was left vacant after WWII and was refurbished in the mid 1960s by the owner Sir Francis Walker, as a house for an agricultural workeer. It was however, never subsequently inhabited. The standard, one & half story building, comprised two main bedrooms upstairs both with fireplaces. Downstairs comprised 3 reception rooms including a main kitchen with a range (still in situ.) with a scullery added onto the back of the build as a one story extension. All that remains of the garden are some remnant fruit trees and a few Douglas Firs planted in the 1930s as a windbreak to the property. <2>
<1> Ordnance Survey, 1873-6, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire (Image/Map). SHG23755.
<2> Saggers, H, 09/2010, A photographic record and brief history of the ruins of Braeton of Leys Farmhouse and Breaton Steading: Leys Castle Estate, Inverness (Text/Manuscript). SHG24924.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Saggers, H. 09/2010. A photographic record and brief history of the ruins of Braeton of Leys Farmhouse and Breaton Steading: Leys Castle Estate, Inverness. Yes. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6722 4040 (100m by 76m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.