MHG54301 - Circular enclosure, possible Henge - Invershin Farm
A large circular enclosure visible on modern aerial photography.
Type and Period (2)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- HENGE? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Douglas Scott submitted information about a large circular feature surrounded by a bank which is visible on Google Earth aerial imagery at Lat. 57 56 N 4 24 W in February 2011. There is an entrance to the south. The feature lies approximately 140m north of the Invershin standing stone. From the centre of the circular feature the standing stone indicates where the southern midsummer moon will rise every 18-19 years during a major standstill. It is suggested that the feature may be a henge. <1><2>
This site was visited by Roland Spencer-Jones of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society on the 21st of March 2014. The site was described as located on a western sloping field 20m above the Dyke river. It was noted as a circular structure overgrown with reeds and coarse grass. Whilst the previously noted entrance to the south was no longer visible, the circular bank and a shallow accreted ditch were. No other breaks on the bank were visible. The diameter of the structure from the outside of the bank measured 22.4m from north to south and 20.1m from east to west. The bank was best preserved in the north-east where it stood 1.9m wide and 0.5m high. There were obvious stones in the bank, particularly to the south. The diameter of the internal platform is 17m. Spencer-Jones suggested that this was a now much degraded henge site. <3>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on the site as seen in aerial photography captured 1999-2001. <4>
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Scott, D. 02/2011. Email from Douglas Scott re circular feature north of Invershin standing stone. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2014. Site visit to possible henge at Invershin Farm. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5757 9686 (21m by 19m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.