MHG5448 - Boat Stems - Druim an Lochain, Eigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval to Norse - 561 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- None recorded
NM48NE 3 c. 472 878.
(Area NM 472 878). Two pieces of carved wood (probably stem/stern posts of a boat) about 6ft long were discovered lying some 30 ft apart while draining a moss on the W side of Eigg. The site is a low track of land formerly a peat-moss, extending from the sea below Laig farmhouse about 1/2 mile long from W-E and about 1/4 mile broad N-S, rising gently from sea-level to form 30-50 ft at the E.
The posts appear to be of oak. They are in the NMAS.
N MacPherson 1878; S Greig 1940
No further information. Boat stems.
Visited by OS (AA) 7 May 1972
A glass fibre cast of one of these stems is held in the RMS.
The storage of partly-worked stems under water (which subsequently became bog) is a practice which is well-attested in Scandinavia and would have served to keep the timber moist for ease of subsequent working. Landings for the ends of six pairs of strakes have been worked on one of the Eigg stems and would have defined the future run of planking.
Eigg stem 1 is of bevelled, hollowed and stepped form, while Eigg stem 2 is bevelled and stepped with a flat face.
S McGrail 1987.
The stems are held in the RMS under accession number NMS IN 4-5.
Information from Dr F Hunter (RMS), 20 March 1998.
The fibre glass replica is listed under Acc. No. IN 6 in the NMS catalogue. It it a replica of IN 4 or IN 5, which were both acquired by the NMS in 1878. The replica was made by the National Maritime Museum 1978/9. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: MacPherson, N. 1878. 'Notes on the antiquities from the Island of Eigg', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 12 1876-8, p.577-97. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 577-97. 594-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Grieg, S. 1940. Viking antiquities in Scotland. 179-80; fig.87.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: McGrail, S. 1987. Ancient boats in NW Europe: the archaeology of water transport to AD 1500. 101, 124, 125.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1981. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 110 1978-80, p.535-544. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 535-544. 538.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IN 4, IN 5, IN 6.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4719 8779 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
- WORKED OBJECT (Norse - 800 AD? to 1300 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-936-C& (Link to NMS online collection database entry)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-937-C& (Link to NMS online collection database entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22163 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.