MHG54820 - Township - Scatwell Farm
Township, buildings and dams at Scatwell
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DAM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A possible Township, buildings and dams (Glascharn) (131 – 133, 138 – 143) centred on NH 3929 5634 to the west of Scatwell Farm was surveyed by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. An area of grassland and a knoll projecting west into marshland to the west of Scatwell Farm was recorded. The area appears to have been extensively worked. The knoll is in quite a defensive position surrounded as it is by marshland and cut off by a deep drainage ditch; however it is at the low point of a much wider “bowl” in the countryside. There seems to have been many efforts in relatively recent times at controlling the water/marsh. This site is known as Glascharn on the 1st edition OS map and may be one of the settlements on the Roy map of c.1750. A series of 3 dams are also included here.
131 Dam - NH 39374 56713 Situated in a copse there are the L shaped remains of an earth bank which appears to have formed a pond. The present stream breaches the long side of the dam which is 12m in length and on a N-S axis. The shortest bank is at right angles to the N and is 4.5m. The banks are 2.5m in width and 0.5m in height.
132 Dam - NH 39323 56394 to the west of 131, this dam is 24m in length and on a N-S axis. The banks are 2.5m in width and 0.8m in height.
133 Dam/Wall - NH 39251 56427 the stone remains of this dam are incomplete and continue as a wall for 35m to the NE.
138 Building - NH 39333 56358 Rectangular building on a E-W axis measures roughly 10m x 2.5m internally. The defining earth bank on the N side is 0.5m in height. A disturbed area 139 to the S may be associated.
139 Possible Building - A depressed area of irregular shape a few metres to the south of 138
140 Possible Building - NH 39293 56339 On the summit of a knoll this rectangular building is on an E-Waxis and measures 5m x 1.5m internally. It has turf banks and rounded ends. A pit, of 1m diameter, to the east may be associated
141 Pit - NH 39240 56348 this pit is excavated into the south side of a knoll. It is 3m in diameter and 0.5m deep.
142 Wall - NH 39238 56371 A turf and stone bank 1m in width and 20m in length this wall forms a dogleg
143 Worked area - NH 39241 56363 A level disturbed area on the summit of a knoll. It may have some sort of structures on it but no
particular forms could be identified. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3932 5638 (187m by 166m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/308454/ (View RCAHMS Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.