MHG54933 - Possible cairn or barrow - Mains of Clava
A low earthwork mound identified during a field survey in the 1990s. It may have been a free-standing barrow or could originally have been associated with a stone structure.
Type and Period (2)
- BARROW? (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- (Alternate Type) BURIAL CAIRN? (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 1501 BC?)
During field surveys in this area in the 1990s it was noted that a 19th-century wall had been built over an earthwork approximately 0.4m in height. The even profile suggests the former existence of a mound extending into the field where it had been destroyed by cultivation. This could not be confirmed by geophysical techniques but contour survey in the adjoining field revealed clear traces of such an earthwork. The mound appears to have been formed of redeposited topsoil. It may have been a free-standing barrow, like the nearby example at Miltown of Clava, or it could originally have been associated with a stone structure. The field wall which crosses the earthwork contains a number of very large pieces of rock. Richard Bradley suggests that this feature may have formed part of a first phase of the Balnuaran cemetery, c.2000 BC, which may have consisted of as many as five monuments in a line along the centre of the gravel ridge. <1>
The monument was included within the Clava Cairns Scheduled Monument following re-scheduling by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <2> <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Bradley, R. et al. 2000. The Good Stones: a new investigation of the Clava Cairns. Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Monograph Series. 17. Paper (Original) & Digital. pp 42-43, 120.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: MacIver, M.. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM90074: Clava Cairns, cairns 70m, 170m NE of and 210m, 460m ENE of, barrow 270m NE of, and standing stone 395m NE of Balnuarin. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7584 4454 (14m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM90074 (View HES designation record and description)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/351938 (View HES canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.