MHG561 - Township, Salachan

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Centred on 613 473
------
The settlement at Salachan occupies a gentle, SE-facing slope with spectacular views over the Sound of Mull. It consists of at least two phases:
1. Salachan Farm, which was occupied until the early 20th century.
2. An earlier township, parts of which survive on the periphery of the later farm. The township was occupied at least by 1716, when eight men over the age of 16 were recorded. It was depicted on Roy’s Map and in 1779 had a population of 37.
The area was afforested during the 1940’s but most of the crop was harvested within the last ten years. The earlier remains are now overgrown with vegetation.

1. Salachan Farm comprises a compact cluster of buildings, covering an area 110m NNW-SSE by 90m. It is focussed around a well-built and well-preserved gable-ended, 2-storey house of harled mortared stone, 12.65m NE-SW by 6.25m. The house was in fine condition until the early 1970’s when the slates were removed but roof timbers have now collapsed into the interior. (Info from Mr. Philip Henderson, Fiunary Campsite) The door on the SE side is flanked by two splayed windows and a fireplace is inserted into each end. An enclosure, 22m NW-SE by 19m adjoins the NW side and a further wall, 15m long, leads southwestwards to a small structure, 6m by 3m.
To the SSW at NM 6127 4732 is a byre of mortared stone, 14.25m NW-SE by 6.05m, with two entrances in the NE side. Adjacent at NM 6132 4732 is a probable barn of mortared stone, 15.95m NW-SE by 5.60, with three compartments, one of which has narrow splayed windows. A trapezoidal enclosure, 20m NW-SE by 10m, adjoins the SW side.

2. The remnants of Salachan township consist of two dilapidated round-angled rectangular buildings at NM 6139 4746, a turf banked enclosure and a corn-drying kiln. The buildings, which were recorded by the OS in 1875, are 2m apart and measure 9.30m NW-SE and 16.30m NE-SW respectively. They are defined by walls, 0.80m thick and up to 0.50m high. A large boulder on the NW end of the smaller house is presumably a result of the road construction above. The enclosure at NM 6138 4743 measures 22m ENE-SWS by 15m. The corn-drying kiln is situated above the forestry road at NM 6126 4744. It consists of a circular mound, 3.20m in diameter with a central depression, 2m in diameter and now filled with rubble. The kiln is completely overgrown but probing reveals a stone revetment. Partial collapse of the wall indicates the site of the flue in the ENE sector.
Field Verification Project (West Lochaber) - J Robertson, 03/2004
-------
Salachan: Ruins of c.7 houses, and 2 more at NM 608 473. All are now under forest. Both sites occupied by 1755. W site abandoned 1841, E site occupied till c.1900.
P Gaskell 1968

Eight unroofed buildings, one of which has two compartments, one roofed building, five enclosures and a field wall are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet liv). Four unroofed buildings, one roofed building and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 21 May 1998

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 6129 4730 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NM64NW
Civil Parish MORVERN
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.