MHG56877 - Norse copper alloy mount - Ardersier area
A Norse copper alloy mount found in the Ardersier area.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (AD 1050-1150, Norse - 800 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- None recorded
A Norse copper alloy mount found through metal detector use in the Ardersier area, exact findspot unknown.
It is now in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. <1>
It was photographed in 2013 by members of the ARCH Ardersier Local Heritage Project. It is decorated with an interlaced animal with an almond-shaped eye in a Norse style called ‘Urnes-style’. Brooches and mounts in this style were mass produced in Scandinavia between 1050 and 1150, with moulds found at Lund in Sweden dating 1100-1150. There are few Urnes-style mounts or brooches in Britain. This mount dates centuries after the main Viking raids on Scotland. Was it a chance loss by a traveller using the ferry crossing between Ardersier and Ross-shire, which has a long history? Was it a find from England, brought up with the Norman lords who were pushing into this area around this time? Or does it relate to the rebellions against the Scottish crown in Moray at the time, which were probably supported by the Earls of Orkney? All would provide a context for this find. <2>
The mount was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 02/10) and allocated to Inverness Museum (listed under Acc. No. 2011.012). It is an Insular cope of the Urnes style, havinga more rigid and geometric appearance that the original style. <3> <4>
Grid Reference on TT sheet would appear to be in error as it is in Sutherland. GW 22/01/20
- <1> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2013-14. Ardersier and Hilton Local Heritage Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 02/10.
- <4> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 02/10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7900 5500 (93m by 94m)|
- MOUNT (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/news.asp?newsid=189 (Click to view ARCH news item about this object)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.