MHG56879 - Early medieval or Norse pin and other MD objects - Castle Stuart area
An early medieval or Norse ring-headed pin found in the Castle Stuart area.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Norse - 800 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- None recorded
An early medieval or Norse ring-headed pin found during metal detector use in the Castle Stuart area, exact findspot unknown.
The object is now in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. The pin is a long-lived type, appearing in 8th century Ireland but adopted and adapted by Viking and Norse from 9th century onwards. This plain example is one of the most common and long-lived forms. Comparable examples can be found from 9th century AD, but also much later. <1>
It was photographed in 2013 by members of the ARCH Ardersier Local Heritage Project. <2>
This pin was part of a small assemblage of objects discovered by metal detecting and submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 159/09). These were medieval to post-medieval in date and, in addition to the pin described above, included two copper alloy buckles, two copper alloy annular brooches, a cast copper alloy anthropomorphic handle from a chafing dish and a copper alloy ingot. These were allocated to Inverness Museum, and they are listed under Acc. Nos. 2010.010.001-007. See attached TT report for futher details on the objects. <3> <4>
See MHG61497 for other MD objects from the Castle Stuart area.
- --- Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 2010.010.001-007.
- <1> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2013-14. Ardersier and Hilton Local Heritage Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 159/09.
- <4> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 159/09.
|Grid reference||NH 7400 4899 (point)|
- PIN (Early Medieval to Norse - 561 AD to 1300 AD)
- BUCKLE (16th Century to 17th Century - 1501 AD to 1700 AD)
- ANNULAR BROOCH (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- CHAFING DISH (17th Century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- INGOT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/339422/castle-stuart (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.