MHG56898 - C19 bridge/Culvert - near former Skelbo station (Little Ferry south)
A C19 bridge/culvert near the former Skelbo Station, near Dornoch.
Type and Period (2)
- BRIDGE (19th Century to Unknown - 1811 AD)
- CULVERT (19th Century to Unknown - 1811 AD)
- None recorded
A probably C18 bridge near the former Skelbo Station, on the old road to Little Ferry (south) just 60 or 70m from the shore. The site was visited and photographed by members of NoSAS in 2013. It is in poor condition, the arch on the east side is shored up with timbers and some stones are falling out of the north part of the arch on the west side. <1>
In 2014 ARCH provided a number of courses, field trips and other activities exploring and researching the remains of the 19th century engineer, road and church builder Thomas Telford. A project was undertaken in Kyle of Sutherland, during which many sites were visited and photographed by participants. The bridge/culvert was researched, visted and photographed during this project. This culvert is on the Skibo road from Creich to Little Ferry road built by Thomas Telford in 1811. However, after the road was completed, the Commissioners for Highland Roads and Bridges decided to build a causeway and bridge at the Mound, thereby eliminating the need to cross the Fleet by ferry at Little Ferry. The section of road from Trentham to Little Ferry, was therefore bypassed, and is likely to best preserve Telford's original road. However Little Ferry continued to operate after Telford's road opened, so there would have been some traffic on it. <2>
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Marshall, M.. 2013. Email regarding old bridge near the former Skelbo Station. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S.. 2015. Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 14.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8005 9493 (10m by 8m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/telford-in-kyle-of-sutherland.asp (Visit the ARCH Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project page)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.