MHG57270 - Shieling - Upper Glen Marksie, Allt A'ghlinne
Shieling at Upper Glen Marksie, Allt A'ghlinne
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Five kilometre west of Loch Luichart Dam on the south side of the valley in the upper part of Glen Marksie, close to an unnamed burn lies a sheiling Hut - NH 3525 5750 recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
261 An oval shaped building c4.5m E/W x 2m internal. Walls: turf covered double faced boulder lower courses. Turf and stone tumble either side of lower courses to a spread of c1.5m max. The centre of the structure is dished to c0.3m deep and there is a possible entrance on the N side overlooking the valley below. Signs of recent game-keeper activity near the front of the structure by way of an upturned turf sod on which has been scattered grit for grouse. The grassy area at the front of the structure shows enrichment. The structure and all of the ground round about is heavily infested with bracken. No pens or other associated structures could be found. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3525 5749 (7m by 7m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/305741 (View Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.