MHG57292 - Quarry - Scatwell House
Quarry at Scatwell House
Type and Period (1)
- QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Centred on NH 3978 5571 Scatwell House was constructed in 1850 on the site of the township of Miltown of Scatwell. The house is in a sheltered wooded corner on the south side of the river and the policies extend over the north facing slopes above and to the south. The quarry was surveyed by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
163 Quarry - NH 40419 55414 In birchwood at an altitude of 80m, about 600m to the SE of Scatwell House, there is an area of roughly 50m x 20m on the west facing spur of a knoll which has been quarried. It may be a quarry for extracting the stone used to build Scatwell House in 1850. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4017 5543 (27m by 28m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308502/scatwell-house (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.