MHG58166 - Building/Kennels, Sheep dip and associated pens - Torran Gorm
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- SHEEP DIP (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- FARM BUILDING (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD? to 2100 AD)
- KENNELS (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- SHEEP FOLD (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A desk based assessment using a wide variety of sources and ground survey was undertaken by the National Trust for Scotland of their Inverewe property and estate, published 1998. Kennels/building, a sheep dig and associated pens were identified. <1>
The site of a concrete sheep dip and associated pens is located immediately NW of a roofed bothy/small building with cobbled floor. The latter is noted as a kennel on the 1st ed 1875 OS map, although the kennels had been moved to Tigh an Uillt by the time of the 1902 OS survey.
Information from NTS: INVG048 (JH 1998) <2>
Marked on the 1st edition OS as 'Kennels' this tin-roofed, mortared stone-walled building has a cobbled floor throughout. The E end has a fireplace in the E gable and the walls and roof timbers of the E third of the building are boarded over, creating a coomed ceiling. In the W two-thirds of the building the mortared stone walls are not boarded. Local tradition has it that this building was the estate laundry, not a suggestion that the visible evidence supports.
Outside the building, on its N side are the remains of a concreted area and sheep-dip. From the OS map it appears that the kennels were relocated before the turn of the 19th/20th century, a new kennels being constructed beside Tigh an Uillt.
Information from NTS (SCS) May 2014 <3>
GIS spatial data created in 2018 based on OS master map.<4>
- <1> Text/Report: Harden J. Inverewe Archaeological Survey 1998. Archaeological Services. . INVG048.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 313762.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 340158.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8644 8170 (11m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/313762/torran-gorm (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/340158/inverewe-torran-gorm (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.