MHG58238 - Triangulation Pillar - Ploc an Rubha
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TRIANGULATION PILLAR (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NG88SE0024A
NG88SE 21.02 859 839
The remains of 5 collapsed Nissen huts are situated on two terraces to E and SE of OS triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. The edges of the huts are marked by irregular lines of boulders and the stumps of timber posts, suggesting a raised wooden floor rather than the concrete bases at the two other locations on the peninsula (NG 851 835, NG88SE 21.01 and NG 849 835, NG88SE 21.03). Flat and corrugated (square-section) asbestos sheeting is littered across the terraces, together with C-shaped iron roof trusses and wooden louvred windows. Stone paths, about 1.2m across, connect some of the huts and run up to the circular gun-platform (probably for an anti-aircraft gun of about 20mm calibre (pers comm Mr R Mowat, RCAHMS)) just to the W of the triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. An iron water tank is located on the ridge to the E of the Nissen huts with a pipe running down to one of the huts (Inverewe 19). A second pipe runs from the tank down the hill to the SW to a concrete stance, beside a dam, which presumably supported a pump. The paths between the Nissen huts join and run down the hill to the SW, past the dam, and to a jetty in the bay. A second path, perhaps uncompleted, runs intermittently from the vicinity of the jetty to the W, for about 160m, in the direction of the two other groups of nissen huts on the peninsula (NG 88SE 21.01 and 21.03).
Four of the huts were standing in October 1946 (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/UK/83 No. 4253) but by 1948 all were ruinous (visible on RAF vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/321 No. 4382).
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 June 1994.
INVG017- Triangulation pillar identified in a DBA and walkover survey undertaken by the National Trust for Scotland at their Inverewe Estate in 1998. It is described as a finely constructed stone mortared trig point situated on the summit of Ploc an Rubha. It condition was considered to be stable and it was recommended that a it was photographed once every five years. <1>
GIS spatial data created in 2018 based on 1st edition six inch OS Ross-shire map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8587 8388 (60m by 59m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.