MHG58373 - Longhouse - Ard Snaosaig
A poorly preserved rectangular building recorded during a pre-afforestation survey and visible in aerial photography.
Type and Period (1)
- LONGHOUSE? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Loch Barabhaig Survey site 5
A longhouse with rounded corners and large enclosure to the SSW of this building are visible on aerial photography captured 1999-2001. <1>
A longhouse aligned N/S measuring 14m by 4.5m was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey by Wordsworth Archaeological Services in November 2000. It was not well-preserved with walls surviving to 0.5m or less and all badly obscured by bracken. It was best preserved on the N. The entrance was probably in the E wall towards the N end. From its location it was almost certainly used by a fisherman, probably squatting as a cottar on the 19thC sheep farm. Small fragments of drystone walling below the SW corner of MHG5414 are probably connected to this site rather than the prehistoric dun.
It was recommended that care be taken if any fencing is proposed in this area and that no planting should take place on or within 20m of this feature. <2>
Aerial photography shows a building matching this description c50m W of the given grid reference at NG 70075 10691 and two smaller buildings on a similar alignment lying c50m NW (NG70125 10735) and c50m WNW (NG70137 10703), respectively.
Information from Ishbel MacKinnon, July 2011. <3>
The site does not appear on the 1st or 2nd edition OS maps.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on aerial photography. <1>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 2000. Barabhaig WGS Isle of Skye: A Rapid Archaeological Survey. Site no. 5.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7007 1069 (9m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/311795/skye-ard-snaosaig (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.