MHG58396 - Shieling - Allt Tarsuinn
A twin celled shieling was identified during a pre- afforestation survey.
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A well preserved twin celled shieling hut set against the foot of a SE facing rocky slope was recorded by Martin Wildgoose during a pre-afforestation survey for Barabhaig WGS in 2002. Both cells were oval and measured 6m x 4m with stone walls 1m thick. A small creep or passage appeared to have connected the two cells and there was an entrance in the NE end of the NE cell. Mounding had been carried out up to and within the structure. <1>
In 2002, recording and reinstatement work was undetaken to 7 sites damaged by mounding operations. This site suffered from 224 scoops and associated mounds (planted with trees) within the 20m agreed buffer zone, 2 scoops lay withing the shieling, 1 in each cell. The site was photographed and all scoops and related mounds examined for cultural deposits and related artefacts. All the scoops lying immediately around and to the north and north-west of the site (40%) were hand dug and had not penetrated beyond the topsoil. The remaining scoops had been mechanically dug and had penetrated well into the sub-soil, in one instance reaching a depth of 380mm. No cultural deposits or related artefacts were recorded.
A measured sketch survey of the shieling was made at a scale of 1:100 and the position of all scoops lying within 2 metres of the site was recorded (see figure 3 in report below). <2>
A three-celled sheiling hut is situated on the S slopes of Beinn an Duibh Leithaid (hill of the black slope) . It is built on a small terrace on an otherwise steep, rocky hillside. The two larger cells measure 3m x 2m and 3.3m x 1.9m internally and a third, smaller cell which is less well defined, measures approximately 2m x 1m. The doorways of the cells face E or NE. A short length of wall curves out from the most S cell, but as digger holes have been dug to within 1m and trees planted within 2m distance, it is not possible to discern whether the wall formed a fourth cell, or an enclosure. The walls, which are constructed of turf and stone, are approximately 0.8m wide and stand up to 0.7m high.
This appears to be the same building that was surveyed by Martin Wildgoose in February 2002 and recorded under this site number.
Information from SRP Camuscross, August 2011. <3>
The structures do not appear on the 1st or 2nd edition OS maps.
- <1> Text/Report: Wildgoose, M Wildgoose M. Barabhaig WGS, Isle of Skye, Rapid Walk-over Surveys of Bracken Infested Areas and an Extention to the Planning Scheme. . . Site N. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose M. 2002. Barabhaig WGS, Isle of Skye, Reinstatement Works to Six Archaeological Sites. 02/02/2009. . Site N and Figs 2 and 3.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6845 1069 (40m by 40m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312071/skye-allt-tarsuinn (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.