MHG58408 - Quoich Hydroelectric Power Station - Glen Garry
A hydroelectric power station built in the 1950s as part of the Great Glen Hydroelectric Power Scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- HYDROELECTRIC POWER STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project (RCAHMS)
Quoich Power Station receives water from Loch Quoich (see separate item) via a tunnel with an integrated surge shaft located to the North of the station. The station contains a single 22MW undershot turbine which is deeply recessed to maximise the available head from the dam. Water from the tailrace feeds into Loch Garry which is regulated by the Garry Dam (MHG58692) and is then used for a second time in Invergarry Power Station. Loch Quoich Power Station is a good example of a medium sized power Station, housing a single large turbine and generator. The exterior design of the station echoes that of Invergarry (MHG16744) with a recessed deep attic course containing narrow vents. The large central vent also dominates the main façade along with the large vehicular access doorways. There is a transformer station to the East of the station behind a large coped boundary wall.
PL Payne, 1988, 5; E Wood, 2002, 38; J Miller, 2002. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1069 0116 (106m by 118m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312931/quoich-power-station (Link to the online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.