MHG58500 - Dyke, Croulin (west)
Dyke, Croulin (west)
Type and Period (1)
- DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
There are small townships on both sides of the burn some 500m inland, whilst lower down, closer to the shore, there are numerous scattered ruins within the now enclosed fields (figs. 13 and 14). The homes of the 2 current occupants, along with their various outbuildings, sit to either side of the enclosed ground. We estimate that as much as 10 hectares of land was in cultivation at one time. The cultivation remains are still very visible, both on the ground and in aerial photographs. Later the best of the ground was enclosed by a substantial stone wall and shows evidence of having been ploughed by tractor. A sheep fank was constructed on the top side of the enclosed ground (Site 1136; fig. 14; plate 27). It is also possible that - after the lower ground was first enclosed - the poorer ground above the head dyke was cultivated in lazy beds for potatoes, at the time when the population was at his peak.
Site 1142. A linear stone and turf dyke running from 178018E 808925N to 178172E 808723N to 178189E 808725N. It runs in a N-S direction, following the contours, before making a curving turn towards the burn. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 17/8/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7801 0892 (20m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.