MHG58589 - Building, midden and lazy beds, Inverguseran
Building, midden and lazy beds, Inverguseran
Type and Period (3)
- MIDDEN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- LAZY BEDS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. Comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.
Site 1084. The bracken infested footings of a sub-rectangular building with rounded ends, measuring 7m N-S x 2m E-W internally. The walls are spread to 1.5m in width at most and stand to 0.4m in height, suggesting that the building might have had a turf superstructure. There is an entrance in the centre of the W wall facing the sea and a probable midden scoop, c.3m in diameter sits c.2m from the doorway. The building is located in an elevated position on the N side of the Allt na Faolin above the rock shelters (Site 1083); there is a small terrace covered in lazy beds adjacent to it. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 3/9/18)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.106 Site 1084.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7458 0806 (12m by 12m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.