MHG58615 - Enclosure, wall, Eilean Rarsaidh
Enclosure, wall, Eilean Rarsaidh
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
This island was visited by NOSAS in 2006 and 2009 as part of an archaeological survey of Loch Hourn.
The island is split between heather covered rock to the west and a much smaller area of generally lower and more fertile ground to the east, sheltered by the higher rocky ground to the west.The whole of the east end of the island is regenerating naturally with native trespecies below which bracken and brambles dominate, but there are large areas where bluebell and wild garlic cover the ground. A deserted settlement was noted during a reconnaissance trip in May 2006. There are approx 8 buildings in the main cluster on the north side of the island, under the lee of low cliffs. Here there is also a fine well in perfect order and a small corn drying kiln. The buildings are in various stages of natural decay. The best of the low ground, c 1.5 hectares, is enclosed by a substantial stone wall and on the east side of this field there are several more small buildings and animal pens. There are cleared landing places on the N, E and W sides of the island, all located towards its east end. <1>
This island appears to have been a little self sufficient world all of its own, about which various stories are told (English 2000, 287; Billy Mackenzie, pers. Comm.). It is something of a time capsule as, following its abandonment, the structural remains have principally been subject only to the natural forces of decay. After landing here for a quick reconnaissance in both 2006 and in 2008, we were well aware that the island was very overgrown with rank heather, bracken, brambles and trees. A team of 8 spent a day here in 2009, removing years of dead bracken off the buildings, so that they could be properly recorded and photographed. We surveyed the whole island and carefully plotted all of the cultivation remains.
Site 1543. A 'D' shaped enclosure, measuring c.0.3ha in size, formed by the remains of a substantial drystone dyke that abuts a steep bank on its straight, NW side. This bank also forms part of the enclosure, whilst - around the curve of the 'D' - the wall is free standing. The enclosure extends in part out onto the rocky beach, where it adjoins the cleared landing place (Site 1537). The ground within the enclosure is uncultivable, and, in 2009, is returning to deciduous woodland, mostly alder with some birch. <2>
Notes; GIS spatial data amended to location as seen on 2009 report plan p.21 Fig 5.
See MHG 25470 for settlement details (T.Blackie 5/9/18)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.12 Site 687.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.77 Site 1543 p.21 Fig 5. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8130 1158 (63m by 68m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.