MHG58634 - Bothy - Rudha Mor
A drystone bothy was build shortly before the Second World War on the ruins of another building depicted on the 1st and 2nd edtion OS maps.
Type and Period (2)
- BOTHY (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. The 1st edition OS map shows a roofed building at this location but on the 2nd edition it was unroofed. The present bothy was built a few years before the start of the Second World War approximately on the site of the ruins. It is of granitic drystone construction to which some cement was added in the 1970s. About this time a wooden floor was added to form a second storey reached by a wooden staircase. A concrete floor and a wood burning stove were added at that time.
The march stone dyke between North Cuil and the Back Settlement runs up from the east side of the base of Rudha Mor to the western corner of the bothy and then continues from the south corner into a lochan. This lochan was formed at the same time that the bothy was built to flood an old, extensive peat bed in which stock frequently foundered. The burn was dammed by a dam made of stone and rubble. It is known locally as the Duck Pond. <1> <2>
See link below to HES Canmore record for site plan and photo.
GIS data created 2018 based on OS Master Map.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2012. Cuil: A History and A Survey. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 31.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9700 5602 (6m by 5m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309228/rudha-mor (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.