MHG58644 - Farmhouse - Back Settlement
A farmhouse was recorded during the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD? to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Grid reference give one HES Canmore and in the 2011 report in incorrect, placing the house in the sea. From the current OS map is is centred at NM 9762 5683.
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. The house had stone walls and square corners, with the stones mainly shore boulders. Lime mortar had been used. It had a central door on the north-west, seaward wall with a window on each side. On the rear wall there was a small window. There did not appear to have been any attic. The original floor was earth at the south-west end and concrete at the other. There were chimneys in each gable with hearths internally. There was a small amount of plaster still on the short, south-west wall internally. There was a small outshot attached to the north-east wall and attached to this a small square structure about a metre across which may have been an outdoor oven. Behind the house and bordered by stone dykes there is a small enclosure.
This small farmhouse looked as if it was built after the arrival of the Age of Agricultural Improvement but exactly when it was built is uncetain. Both the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps showed the house to be roofed. On Bedford's marine chart of 1861 it was called Leachnasgeir Farm.The tenant paid £42.1.0. as rent in 1841 which was higher than neighbouring farms and suggests that the house was built before that date. The census of 1851 tells us that this farm had 231 acres and four labourers but by 1860 it had become part of the North Cuil farm. It was last occupied by a cottar in 1909. When M.E.M. Donaldson visited the area for the first time about the end of the First World War she says in her book "Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands," published in 1921, that the house was roofed but vacant. By the time of her second visit the roof had been removed and the Ballachulish slates laid beside the house. By 1968 it had become a ruin. At this time two geologists leased the place. An aerial photograph on 11th June 1968 show the house (and steading) to be unroofed but the walls were repaired and the slate roof was put back in place. Most unfortunately the geologists were drowned in a boating tragedy at the end of Novedmber 1968 but other geologists formed a syndicate and bought the house and steading in 1978. It is now used as a holiday home by members of the syndicate and their friends. <1> <2>
See link below to HES Canmore record for site plan and photos discussed above.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Maste Map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2012. Cuil: A History and A Survey. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 44.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9762 5683 (11m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309234/back-settlement (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.