MHG58651 - Field System - Rudha Meadhonach Bay Plateau
An large hexagonal plateau enclosed by turf dykes was recorded during the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. On this plateau there was a roughly hexagonal area enclosed on all but its south side by turf dykes. Running east-west across the centre was another, slightly curved, turf dyke. These are appear on the 1st edition OS map and following maps, upto the current edition. To the south of the east-west dyke the ground was taken back into cultivation after the Second World War and was ploughed regularly for about 25 years. In spite of this the rig and furrows could still be seen. They are straight but run in several different directions depending on the lay of the land. To the north of the transverse dyke the land was never reclaimed. Here the rigs and furrows showed a reverse-S characteristic. Nowhere else in Cuil has this characteristic been noticed although in nearly all the fields, if viewed in the right light, at the right time of day and at the right season of the year, evidence of old rig and furrow cultivation can be seen in spite of the fields having been ploughed for many years, apart from the past 35. These rigs and furrows can be seen in some of the aerial photographs (e.g. 1968) taken of the area. <1> <2>
See link below to HES Canmore record for site photo.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2012. Cuil: A History and A Survey. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 51.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9742 5595 (307m by 418m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309230/rudha-meadhonach (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.