MHG58662 - Quay - Cidh’ A’ Chlachaig, Camuscross
A quay, built in to 19th Century, recorded by the Scotland's Rural Past Project based on oral and placename evidence.
Type and Period (1)
- QUAY (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD? to 2100 AD?)
- None recorded
Oral history recording and place name research relating to Camuscross was conducted by members of the local community for the Scotland's Rural Past Project in 2011. The purpose of this research was to record names which have not previously been recorded on maps, but have survived through local knowledge and oral tradition.
'Cidh’ a’ Chlachaig' means 'quay of the stony place.' Recent research has shown that this quay was built during the potato famine in the mid 1800s as part of the public works which were commissioned by the Fund for the Relief of the Destitute Inhabitants of the Highlands and Islands. Other local work commissioned under this scheme includes improvements to the “Committee Road” leading across Camuscross hill grazings from the current main road. Men were paid in oatmeal, to feed their families, as payment for labouring on these infrastructure projects. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6984 1148 (39m by 32m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312232/skye-cidh-a-chlachaig (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.