MHG58674 - Ruined Building - Braigh Horrisdale
A ruined building visible on OS mapping and aerial photography.
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A roofed building and two large enclosures are depicted here on the 1st and 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map. <1> <2>
The ruins of a rectangular building on the N side of the Abhainn Braigh Horrisdale, 110m NW of a possible shieling hut (MHG21194), is visible in aerial photography captured 1999-2001 and 2009, and was also photographed by RCAHMS (RCAHMSAP 2009). <3> <4>
See link below to HES Canmore record for aerial photo.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map.<5>
- <1> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> SHG23423 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <4> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <5> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8138 6931 (16m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/310959/braigh-horrisdale (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.