MHG58694 - Ceannacroc Power Station
A hydroelectric power station built in the 1950s as part of the Great Glen Hydroelectric Power Scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- POWER STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Ceannacroc is a medium sized power station housing a single turbine and built entirely underground with an unlined access tunnel with horseshoe arch. The station uses water from Cluaine dam (MHG37170) which is conveyed through a pressure tunnel bored through solid bedrock. The tailrace discharges into the River Morriston which is dammed downstream by Dundreggan dam (MHG30014) allowing the water to be used twice more at Glenmorriston and Livishie power stations (MHG58696 and MHG58695). The station house a 22MW set and a 4MW compensation set all of which were refurbished along with the turbine hall interior in the late 1990s. Ceannacroc is an early example of a subterranean power station and amongst the earliest to be developed in the UK. The Great Glen scheme is characterised by the use of underground stations with other examples including Livishie and Glenmorriston. The design of subterranean stations was pioneering for this date with most developments using surface stations and steel penstocks for the pressure system. This structure was recorded as part of HES' Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project during 2010-11. <1>
GIS Spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2244 1084 (101m by 67m)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312945/ceannacroc-power-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.