MHG58761 - Drill Hall - Nethy Bridge
A Drill Hall and Drill Segeant's cottage are depicted on the 2nd Edition OS map. The drill hall was demolished in 1996 and the threshold step from the building now marks the site as bench and memorial.
Type and Period (2)
- DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- WAR MEMORIAL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Nethy Bridge drill hall and the drill sergant's cottage to its W, were built by 1896. The hall was demolished after the Second World War. The Drill sergant's cottage is still standing.
The drill hall is shown on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire).
The site was recorded as part of the World War One Audit of Surviving Remains by HS and and RCAHMS.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 8 October 2013.
Beside the site of the Drill Hall there is a stone and wooden bench which acts as a small war memorial. The stone was formerly the threshold step into the drill hall and has a small plaque attached which reads 'In proud memory of every man of Nethy Bridge and District who trod on this threshold step of the village hall [Drill Hall] when he enlisted in the forces 1914 - 1918'.
The wooden seat seat also has a plaque noting that the Drill Hall was demolished in April 1996.
Information from M Briscoe and Historic Environment Scotland (AKK) 18 December 2015.
GIS spatial data was traced from the building as depicted on the 2nd edition 25 inch Inverness OS Map and adjusted based on the location of the remaining building on current OS Mapping. <1>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332712.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 1016.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 0008 2058 (23m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332712/nethy-bridge-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.