MHG58787 - Prisoner of War Camp - Inverlaidnan
A WWI prisoner of war camp. Its precise location is not known.
Type and Period (1)
- PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
German soldiers, other than officers and senior NCOs, could be put to work that did not directly further the prosecution of the war. The camp at Inverlaidnan was built to accommodate about 400 German PoWs who were to provide a labour force for the men of the Canadian Forestry Corps, who were working in the local forests.
'Inverlaidnan' is the name of a farm about 5km up the River Dulnain from Carrbridge.
Conditions in the camp were the subject of an exchange of notes between the British and German governments (The National Archives FO 383/505).
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 8 October 2013. <1> <2> <2>
The precise location of the POW camp is unknown, and is recorded here as a four figure grid reference (NH 86 21).
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 16, table 4.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 1014.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8600 2100 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332704/inverlaidnan-prisoner-of-war-camp (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.