MHG59470 - Enclosure/Pen - Gleann Goibhre, Kilmorack
Enclosure/Pen at Gleann Goibhre, Kilmorack
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PEN (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The Gleann Goibhre shieling site was surveyed by NOSAS members in 2002 and 2016. The site lies to the south of the Allt Goibhre, on a north facing terrace at a height of 300m. A pipeline with parallel track traverse the south part of the site and its construction may well have destroyed some features of the site. The site comprises the remains of 34 structures and a possible enclosing bank.
Enclosure/Pen 7. Rectangular structure on an E-W axis, measuring internally 4m x 3m. Constructed to the north of and using a large in-situ boulder 3m x 1.5m in height (at the south end of its southeast wall). Other walls are roughly constructed of boulders and are generally 0.3m in height and with a width of 1-1.5m (with tumble). <1> <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2018. Gleann Goibhre shieling sites. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.3 Site 7. XY
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M, Coombs, A and Jack, A. 2003. Archaeological Remains of two Shieling Sites in Upper Gleann Goibhre near Muir of Ord. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4024 4796 (6m by 3m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.