MHG59480 - Shieling hut and enclosure - Gleann Goibhre, Kilmorack
Shieling hut and associated enclosure at Gleann Goibhre, Kilmorack
Type and Period (2)
- SHIELING HUT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The Gleann Goibhre shieling site was surveyed by NOSAS members in 2002 and 2016 . The site lies to the south of the Allt Goibhre, on a north facing terrace at a height of 300m. A pipeline with parallel track traverse the south part of the site and its construction may well have destroyed some features of the site. The site comprises the remains of 34 structures and a possible enclosing bank.
Shieling hut 14. Rectangular and on a NE-SW axis and roughly measuring 10m x 2m, this shieling hut slopes towards the north where it opens onto a small stream but with no end wall. NW wall is recessed into the slope. Defining wall on the southeast side is 0.3m in height and more obvious at its south end. Two large boulders form S end. <1> <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2018. Gleann Goibhre shieling sites. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.3 Site 14.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M, Coombs, A and Jack, A. 2003. Archaeological Remains of two Shieling Sites in Upper Gleann Goibhre near Muir of Ord. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.6 Site 14.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4027 4794 (10m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.