MHG59614 - Milestone - Kyleakin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This milestone stands on the N verge of the A87 public road about 2km W of Kyleakin. It is a granite pillar, triangular in section but with a slightly rounded rear, which measures 0.3m across each of the two front faces and 0.41m across the back by 0.65m in height. The upper part of the front of the stone is angled to a narrow flat top.
The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire - Isle of Skye 1876, Sheet XLI) indicates that the stone stood 2 miles from the Kyleakin Ferry to the E and 6 miles from Broadford to the W.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IP), 28 May 2012.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 318626. XY
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1877. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1875-1880. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Skye. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7259 2592 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/318626/kyleakin (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.