MHG59704 - Hacksilver - Pitgrudy, Dornoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
NH 79 92 A single piece of Viking hacksilver was found during metal detecting at Pitgrudy, near Dornoch. It is the tapering terminal of a penannular bracelet.
Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 84/10), allocated to Historylinks Museum, Dornoch. <1>
The terminal of a Viking penannular bracelet of oval or sub-circular section. The piece is in excellent condition and the original cut and break can be clearly seen. There is also a dent on the underside where the force of the final blow to separate the fragment has flattened the profile of the ring. Overall this is classic piece of Viking hacksilver although that it is a single find is unusual. The cluster of Norse farm names in Cromarty and Easter Ross do suggest that this object sits comfortably within its cultural sphere and may be a solitary loss which suggests trade rather than hoarding. <2>
Historylinks museum Acc. No. 2011_074. <3>
This fragment of bracelet is pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library, No. 10357. See link below. <4>
Four figure grid reference given is marginal. A more detailed GR is held by Treasure Trove. GW 09/07/20
- --- Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 84/10. XY
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hunter, F. 2011. Metal Detector Find, Pitgrudy, Discovery Excav Scot, New Series, vol. 12. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 104. Paper (Copy). pp. 104.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 84/10.
- <3> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. 2011_074.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. No. 10357.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7900 9200 (20m by 20m)|
- BRACELET (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number10357.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332236/pitgrudy (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/333881/dornoch (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.