MHG59780 - Drill Hall - Old Pier Lane, Broadford
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Osborne (2006) reports a drill hall built in Old Pier Lane in Broadford in 1914 and in use until 1937 when it was partly demolished and replaced by a modern hall in the main street. Its precise location is uncertain but a corrugated building on the west side of Old Pier Lane (Sraid na H-atha) may part of the drill hall. In 1914 it was the base for "D" Company, 4th battalion Cameron Highlanders. The architect was John Alistair Ross (1882-1955). Site recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by the RCAHMS World War one Survey Project. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 270.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 99204.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 60, table 35.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 402. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6454 2346 (11m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/99204/skye-broadford-territorial-drill-hall-and-instructors-house (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.