MHG60821 - Dam - Kinloch River
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- DAM (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- AQUEDUCT (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Recorded as part of the RCAHMS Rum Record Upgrade Project. This dam diverts water draining north from Long Loch from its natural path heading north into Kilmory Glen into an aqueduct, some 530m in length, which carries it NNE to join a tributary of the Kinloch River at NM 3660 9968. This arrangement, which allowed salmon to travel up to Long Loch from the Kinloch River, was part of a larger scheme initiated by Lord Salisbury, then owner of the island, in 1849. This particular element must post-date the collapse of the ‘Salisbury’ dam (MHG5652) in c1854 and it is most probably the work undertaken by a Mr MacPhie and 23 men from March 1855 (Love 2001, 192). The aqueduct seems to have been incomplete by 1877 when it is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6 inch map ((Argyllshire (Islands of Rum, Sanday etc) 1879, Sheet LX). The last section of 90m, which linked the existing section with the tributary of the Kilmory River, and the construction of the dam was completed before 1898 (OS Inverness-shire (Isle of Skye) 1903, Sheet LX).
Visited by RCAHMS (GFG) August 2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 3648 9936 (249m by 646m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/333477/rum-kinloch-river (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.