MHG60823 - Dam - Long Loch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DAM (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Recorded as part of the RCAHMS Rum Record Upgrade Project. This substantial and well-preserved dam stands at the S end of Long Loch and forms an important part of a 19th century network of dams and cuts that were constructed for the purpose of controlling drainage within the centre of Rum in order to improve sport fishing. It was probably built in the middle years of the 19th century on the instruction of Lord Salisbury, then owner of the island, to form a shallow loch for the fishing of salmon which had access to the N end of the loch from the sea via the Kilmory River.
Love has noted (2001, 188) that another ‘double wall at the Longlock’ was washed away in December 1849, and this has been interpreted as evidence for a dam at the northern end of the loch. However, given that Salisbury explained that ‘it was not desirable to make the Long Loch deeper than is absolutely necessary’ (ibid) and that there should be ‘no impediment for the salmon to run up from Kilmory’, it seems more likely that the structure that was washed away was simply an earlier attempt at damming the southern end of the loch.
Visited by RCAHMS (GFG) August 2011.
See link below to HES Canmore record for photos of the dam. <1>
GIS Spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 3629 9809 (29m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/333476/rum-long-loch (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.