MHG60923 - Carnegie's Cabin in the Wood


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOUSE (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Andrew Carnegie had a walk built in the woods near Spinningdale in the Fairy Glen. It opened in 1907. There were a number of bridges and a cabin at the top (featured in one of HistoryLinks’ photos). Only one bridge is there now (called the Carnegie Bridge), and it is a rebuilt one of a later date, but some foundations of the original bridges can be seen. After Carnegie’s death, visitors to the area, many from abroad, used to come to the tea room in Spinningdale and then walk up to the cabin. They were able to step onto the slate roof from the back, and many scratched their names on the slates. A well supplied water there. The cabin burnt down after the war. (Information from Margaret Thomson, Louise Suggett, Gavin Suggett and Hamish Matheson). <1>

A picture of the cabin is on HistoryLinks archive. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 6779 9079 (188m by 187m)
Map sheet NH69SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.