MHG60973 - Barn/byre, Croft 11 - Laide
Ruined barn/byre, Croft 11 at Laide
Type and Period (3)
- BYRE? (Built, 20th Century - 1901 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- BARN? (Built, 20th Century - 1901 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- WALL (Built, 20th Century - 1901 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
The ruined buildings on this croft comprise a former croft house (MHG52543) and a more recent outbuilding. Information about the buildings was submitted to the HER in March 2009 along with photographs taken to comply with a condition on planning consent for a new house. The croft house was last occupied by John Matheson until his death in 1959. The stone-built house had a thatched roof on timber rafters which were said to be slightly curved in shape. Sadly these were used as firewood by a neighbouring crofter many years ago. There was an earthen floor with the fire made at the south end but apparently no chimney. The building had no proper sanitation and water was fetched from a well on the hill. The north end of the main building, and the later outbuilding to the south, were latterly used for animals or storage. <1>
The crofthouse with associated outbuildings and an enclosure, no longer extant, is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875. The current ruined outbuilding, with an attached enclosure, was built some time during the first half of the last century. <2> <3>
A survey of the Laide settlement area was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Macintyre, J. in 2011.
Site 2. The barn. This is not shown on the 1st and 2nd OS maps, and therefore may have been built in the early 20th century. The front wall has collapsed, but the rear wall and gables are in a better state of preservation. There are the remains of a wall enclosing an area to the front of the building. <4>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <5>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): MacIntyre, H. 02/2009. Photographs of ruined buildings at Croft 11, Laide. Colour. . Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Croft 11, Laide. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1-31 Site 2.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8983 9232 (5m by 9m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105051 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.