MHG61075 - Building/byre - Croft 24, North Erradale, Gairloch
Ruined building, byre and possible pen, Croft 24, North Erradale, Gairloch
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PEN? (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising fifty-five roofed buildings, four partially roofed buildings and seven unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Seventeen roofed buildings, two partially roofed buildings and twenty-six unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
1845 North Erradale estate map <1>
A survey of North Erradale was undertaken in 2013 by Macinnes, A. Harnden, A. Blakey, R. and researched by Macintyre, I. Croft 24 lies on a north to south slope and has an undulating surface. It is drained by a stream which runs from the NE corner of the croft, bends to the east as it flows south and exits the croft at the midway point of the south boundary. The sites of a number of ruined buildings are first shown on the Estate maps of 1845.
Site D. This site has two structures. They are shown as one roofed building on the Estatemap of 1845 through to the 2nd OS of 1901. Now they are unroofed ruins. The rectangular building has walls of height 1.3m to 0.30m. The north end has walls made of chosen and dressed stone with infill and snecking, while the south end is very tumbled with indistinct walls possibly used at a later date for a sheep pen. There is one entrance with no evidence of windows or fireplace. The square structure is clear but the exact line of walls are indistinct with lots of tumble. The height is less than 1m. <2> <3>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <4>
1st Edition OS 6" <5>
- <1> SHG25450 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes.
- <2> SHG28319 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. The ruins and features of North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.4 Site 5.
- <3> SHG28321 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. Croft 24 North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1-12 Site D.
- <4> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <5> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7434 8130 (18m by 15m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104968 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.