MHG61350 - Hut circle - Breakachy Burn
A hut circle at Breakachy Burn (Urchany/ Allt na Criche).
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- PIT (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Breakachy Burn (Urchany Glen/ Allt na Criche).
245330 845308 Allt na Criche 8 HS001 (H51): The hut circle was visited by A Welti and R Spencer-Jones in 2015 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This oval stone strucure is one of a group of 10 roundhouses at Urchany Glen. HS001 is in poor condition. It is submerged by heather, as is the surrounding landscape, and only part of the ring bank is visible. There are 3 duns in the near landscape and a burial cairn is nearby. The HC is adjacent to an enclosure. Evidence of long term agriculture in the area is given by turf and stone field walls, and clearance cairns. The terrain is rough, hilly and rocky. Vegetation inside the structure and in the surrounding landscape is entirely heather. Views are panoramic inland. The HC is at a distance of 50m from a stream and 30m from a river. The platform is built out from a gentle south facing slope. Only the outer diameters of the oval could be measured. These are 7.2 x 5.6m. Wall thickness is 0.9m with maximum height 0.5m. Wall construction is not clear and no entrance is obvious. There is a possible souterrain in the southern section of the HC. This shows as a stonelined pit measuring 1.9 x1.2m. HS001 is at a distance of 120m from both RSJ006 (see MHG) and RSJ005 (see MHG). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <4>
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015. The survey conducted by the Ordnance Survey in 1970 identified 10 hut circles. An additional six hut circles were identified in the NOSAS survey.
Site H51; Hut Circle and stone lined pit. 45m to the north of the Breakachy Burn, and at the SW aspect of the Green Area, lies a 6m diameter circular structure consisting of earth walls covered in heather. These contain at its centre a stone-lined pit whose function is uncertain. It is likely to be for storage, although not large enough to be called a souterrain. <5>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HS001 (H51).
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HS001 (H51).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <5> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.26, Site H51, Figures 50-54.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4532 4531 (15m by 15m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.